I was this typical city brought up girl with a fancy statement – ”I don’t know to cook. I can’t cook for a man. Let him cook for me” I soon realized cooking is needed to SURVIVE!! Out of India, out of your house, you cannot survive long on pizzas and burgers. Craving for Pulav? Well, here is a super simple recipe. Doesn’t go wrong at all. Feel free to experiment with different variations 🙂
Difficulty – easy
Serves – 2
- Basmathi rice – 1 cup.
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- bay leaf – 1
- cinnamon stick – 1
- cardamom – 2
- slit green chilly – 2
- Cashew nuts – as needed
- Water – 2 cups
- Wash Basmati rice and allow it to stay wet till you finish doing other things (max 15 mins) In India, you can soak the Basmati rice in water for 15 mins. I have noticed that in Europe, its not needed to soak the rice. I think its because of the water here.
- In a pan, take 1 spoon ghee. Let it melt and become hot.
- Add one cumin seed and see it it is crackling. If yes, add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, slit green chilly and saute for a minute.
- Add the washed rice and saute it. The rice will start looking a bit crisp. It should not change its color. Be careful. One minute frying on average would do.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves(whichever is available. Can ignore if not available)
- Add salt to taste. Taste the water. It should be slightly salty. Around 3/4 teaspoon would do. Depends on individual preference.
- Add two cups water.
- Place it in a cooker vessel. Allow 4 whistles in high. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Fry cashew nuts and add it to the cooked pulav.
Requires around 2.5 cups of water. Add all ingredients in a microwavable bowl and after step 7, place in the microwave. Takes around 10 mins depending on your device. After every 3 mins, give a stir. If it has not cooked properly, add 1/4 cup of water, stir once and cook again till done.
Tips and Variations
Now this is the interesting part 🙂
- Never mix the rice too hard. Handle it softly or stir with fork so that the rice remain long and pretty 🙂
- You can serve this with raita.
- This is the procedure for making any kind pulav. You can substitute it with any ingredient in step 5.
- Feel free to add apples and pineapples to the pulav and get Kashmiri pulav.
- Carrot, peas, beans, capsicum and cauliflower for veg pulav or any of these to get carrot pulav, peas pulav or cauliflower pulav.
- For capsicum pulav alone, cut capsicum and fry with one spoon oil or ghee for two mins. Then add it finally along with cashews.
- Cook with any dal(add nextra water for dal) – toor or moong to get dal chawal.
So there goes.. Many pulavs with one recipie 🙂